- 1 to 5 images can be entered into each category, except the Collective Portfolio Award, which requires 10.
- Each submission set MUST be accompanied by a Word document with image captions.
- All entrants must pay a $50 entry fee (100% paid directly to ocean conservation organisation, SeaLegacy, via a confirmation email sent after the first category is entered). This entry fee only needs to be paid once and allows entrants to enter as many categories as they like.
- Entrants who ONLY nominate a photographer in the FFF Award, and do not enter any other category, do not need to pay an entry fee. Nominations in the FFF are free. The nomination form can be downloaded here.
- All submissions must be photographs.
- All entries must be received by midnight (GMT) on July 31, 2021.
- All submissions must have been created by the photographer entering.
- Entrants can enter as many categories as they wish.
- Post-processing of images is acceptable.
- Images that have already won a recognised award prior to April 30, 2021 should NOT be entered. This does not include Collective Portfolios submissions, which can include award-winning images.
- 50MB upload limit per image.
- Images should be free of watermarks.
- Manipulation of the natural world is NOT acceptable. All entrants confirm that all images were taken naturally, without interference with wildlife.
- Entrants into the Young Ocean Photographer of the Year must be 21 years of age or under on July 31, 2021. There are no age restrictions on all other categories.
- Each entrant MUST pay the entry fee, regardless of the number of categories they enter. Photographers who do not pay the entry fee will be disqualified.
- The following categories will be awarded:
- The Ocean Photographer of the Year (overall winner)
- The Ocean Conservation Photographer of the Year
- The Ocean Exploration Photographer of the Year
- The Ocean Adventure Photographer of the Year
- The Collective Portfolio Award
- The Young Ocean Photographer of the Year
- The Community Choice Award
- Submissions for Awards 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 will be welcomed. Awards 1 and 7 will be chosen from submissions into the other five categories.
- Awards categories are deliberately broad and open to interpretation. The Awards are about the emotional connection of photography and the ability of each photographer to communicate a story to the viewer. They are not about technical ability or the use of particular equipment. If you feel your image tells a conservation story, enter it into the Ocean Conservation Photographer of the Year; if it invokes a sense of exploration, submit it for consideration in the Ocean Exploration Photographer of the Year, etc.
- The Competition reserves the right to award images in a category they were not originally submitted in. This will happen at the discretion of the judges for images they feel are particularly suited to an alternative category.
If you have any queries relating to the Ocean Photography Awards, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the full Ocean Photography Awards Terms and Conditions, click here.