The successful candidate will be responsible for the daily running of the Oceanographic website. Key responsibilities will include setting the editorial agenda; sourcing, editing and publishing long-form articles; conducting, transcribing and uploading interviews; writing news stories.
Additional responsibilities include managing the sharing of website content with all sections of Oceanographic’s digital community, from newsletter subscribers to social media followers, as well as the broader management of those supporting digital channels – including campaign planning, scheduling and implementation of posts and stories on social media. Social media management will also extend to the Ocean Photography Awards.
With Oceanographic’s content focused on ocean conservation, exploration and adventure, the successful candidate will ideally have an interest in our blue planet – its many wonders as well the plights it faces.
The right candidate will be joining a talented, passionate and creative team that works hard to ensure the growing Oceanographic community not only continues to receive the world-class content (via magazine, Awards, website and social) that it has become accustomed to, but that the nature, extent and impact of that content continues to expand and evolve.
This position is available as either a part-time (3 days per week) or a full-time position, depending on the candidate.
We are open to receiving applications from ambitious graduates looking to move straight into a position of responsibility, as well as experienced writers and editors looking for a new challenge.
Ideally, the candidate will be UK-based (Oceanographic’s offices are in London), though international applications will also be accepted.
Salary DoE. Flexible working (hours & location). 30 days holiday per year (pro rata for part-time). Two additional days for volunteering work.
Must have skills
- Excellent editing skills, including fact-checking and proofreading.
- Ability to source article ideas for both commissioned pieces and stories produced in-house.
- Ability to write concise news stories and compelling long-form features.
- Highly organised with a professional and personable manner.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to liaise with high-profile clients, partners and charities, as well as regular contributors, freelancers and photographers.
- Editorial planning.
- Ability to think creatively regarding content output.
- Confidence to voice new ideas regarding reader engagement and brand growth.
- Ability to manage and meet deadlines.
Desirable skills / experience
- Previous experience working in an editorial department.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Suite.
- Prior involvement in the management of social media accounts and the creation of content for both social feeds and newsletters.
- Understanding of Google Analytics.
- You are ready to play an important role as part of a hard-working team.
- You are self-motivated, with an ability to push beyond your core responsibilities.
- You possess commercial nous as well as excellent editorial skills.
- Ideally, you have a passion for the ocean.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com.
Application deadline: May 31